First there was a talk from Dr Brenda Cross (Faculty tutor and Sub-Dean). We found out out the course structure and such. You get patient contact from your 3rd week at UCL! Amazing! The earlier the patient contact the better in my eyes! She told us a little about the entry requirements, tips for UCAS and qualities they are looking for in their students:
- Intellectual ability
- Commitment/realistic attitude to medicine
- Interest in scientific basis of medicine
- Conscientiousness, enthusiasm and resilience
- Time management and organisational skills
- Communication skills
- Ability to take responsibility (leadership)
- Ability to co-operate with others (teamwork)
- Tolerance and integrity
- Confidence without arrogance
- Problem solving and decision making.
So they are asking for a lot. But to be honest it actually isn't a lot because I'm sure any good doctor or future doctor will have these qualities anyway! Also she told us about the BMAT (Bio-Medical Admissions Test)
Then we had a question-answer session with 3 current medical students, what they said made me fall in love with UCL even more. The fact that Camden is really close and the social life is buzzing and there seems to be a LOT of extra curricular activities such as sports - a wide variety in fact.
Then we went off for a tour of UCL with a current medical student, I just love how everything is in walking distance from each other!
|Even met Mr Bentham himself!|
|Even gave us little sweets that said "Get set 4 MBBS 2012" obviously not applicable to us but still cool!|